6.01.2011

Why Craig Morgan songs get my mind off of car repair problems

I had to go to Midas today. You know, the car repair place. What a terrible experience I had. I even started off at Meineke, but that was the shadiest place below the Mason Dixon. So, Midas had the privilege of taking my $311.75.  And I came away with a laundry list of new repairs I get to have done!!!!!!

- Alternator Belt
- Valve Cover Gasket Set
- Upper Plentum Gasket

I might as well have just written "kjwetro;iehratkl&na" above. That's how much I understand it.

I tell ya, the longer I've been married, the more and more I want to live in a small town. In my hometown, my mom would dial the car repair shop's number, which she knew by heart along with several other businesses, they'd chat for a second, you know, to see how their momma n 'em are doing. And they'd come to our house, pick up the car, repair it, clean it, and then bring it back. The amount was charged to Miss Debbie's account, which they also knew by heart. The repair shop was just across from the baker shop with the.best.donuts.you've.ever. had. ever.

I know what people have to say about people from small town's. How we're backwoods or "country" (pronounced in Alabama, "curntry"). But don't you think it's a simpler way? Don't you think you can trust these people like car mechanics?

So basically, if you tell me "You're so country", chances are I'm going to say, "Why, thank you. I'm glad you noticed. I must be sweet."

I'm really not that sweet. I'm nice but not sweet. Well I can be, just sometimes. That's neither here nor there.

The point is this: I hate getting my car fixed, but it's necessary. I'm blessed to own a car. Really, I see that I am lucky. But at the end of the day, I just want the simple life. To be around people I know by name. To trust a car repairman. To be around folks that keep their word. I've recently been around the same mountain with people that haven't kept their word, and I've been disappointed.

Really disappointed.

But Andrew cheered me up yesterday when he told me that Craig Morgan was at his office. I said, "Who?" All Andrew said after that was, "35 cents off a ground round, baby cut that coupon out!" And I said, "That's what I love about Sunday's!"

That's a little inside joke we have. I love the verse of the Craig Morgan song that Andrew sang to me. I think it's so funny. I sing that part the loudest of all the other lyrics in the song. And we also have a disagreement about the pronunciation of the word, "coupon." He says, "que-pon"in his Alabama-native way. I say, "coo-pawn"in my south Louisiana way. This little argument dates back to when Andrew and I were dating.

And you know what, Andrew was even able to tell Craig Morgan himself how his little wife likes to belt out her favorite verse in her thickest cajun accent. He liked it. He laughed.

Songs like that make me think of my roots. Small town, yes they are.

2 comments:

  1. And just for the record, Craig Morgan is an awesome guy--real down to earth and laid back. I'm a bigger fan after yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great post! sorry about your car situation! (I'll have to tell you my own shady mechanic story somtime when I was in the big ole city of Los An-ge-les!) Small towns win every time.

    Expect an email from me shortly regarding my trip there! I know we discussed this month, but stupid me didnt buy a plan ticket before they got so expensive..lets try for another month?

    miss my friend whitney.

    ReplyDelete