3.07.2014

Lent, a new meaning

Lent. 

I've never been over the moon about it. Especially growing up in south Louisiana with Mardi Gras being my favorite holiday. Lent means all the fun has come to an end. 

But with my walk with Him having grown in maturity, I know it means so much more than "what are you giving up?" and silent lunches in the school cafeteria. And don't you dare bring meat in your lunch on a Friday. 


The time of Lent has taken on a different meaning for me. It's a sweet, wonderful, fulfilling time where we can grow deeper in our relationship with Christ, together, as one body. It's a time of dying to self for further growth in Christ. 


Whether it be the tangible "what are you giving up for Lent" thing or that possible more weighty thing of giving up impatience, anger, gossip, or control. 


We are in the post winter/pre spring season in the calendar year, and I feel that same season in our circumstances for Andrew and me. We are waiting for God to move in big ways; waiting for decisions and new opportunities. 

I can't help but make the connection between the season of winter and bursting forth in life in the springtime. I told someone the other day that I anxiously await springtime because we will have answers by then, or so we hope. 


So we are wondering how many more "weeks of winter" we'll have to endure before coming into a more beautiful springtime of life. But God does such a work in us during the dry, cold, dead times; the Lenten times of seeking His face before we celebrate His risen life. 


I am grateful for this special time of waiting for Him to answer our "post winter 2014 prayer requests" and this Lenten time of reflecting on Him and His victory over death. Which means life eternal. How beautiful. 

There in the ground His body lay
Light of the world by darkness slain. 
Then bursting forth in glorious Day up from the grave he rose again! 
And as He stands in victory 
Sin's curse has lost its grip on me,For I am His and He is mine -Bought with the precious blood of Christ.

In Christ Alone

No comments:

Post a Comment