9.06.2013

The Swing

I think I may have mentioned that I have a private baby book blog. I'm so glad that I started that book. It seems easier for me to update more frequently since I'm on the computer daily checking email, reading blogs, pinterest etc.

I wanted to privatize it because it was more personal, writing notes to John Henry, and posting his stats, what he eats, when he sleeps etc. I didn't want to bore people who like to read this blog with how many bottles JH took at 5 months.

But that said, I wanted to share the latest post on this site. It was a lesson to me about trusting in God's will and plan for my life...through a toddler swing.

The Swing of Trust


John Henry, 

You love the swing in our front yard. Daddy was able to hang it on the tree a few weeks ago. When we go outside, I ask you if you want to swing, and you point to it. You're my smart boy!

I've never heard you laugh so hard as when I chase you back and forth as the swing sways. It's so joyful. I make sure that no cars are driving by because I truly look like a fool. Anything for you, though. 


During my pregnancy in an apartment, I was so worried that you wouldn't have a yard to play in or a swing to swing on. God provided; even in the little things that I desired for you. 

They say that when you become a parent, you truly gain a better sense and understanding of God's love, mercy, and His ways. I learned a little more about the character of God the other day through the swing. 

I asked if you wanted to go swing a few afternoons ago, and you kicked your legs, make your little noise, and pointed. You were excited because you knew! It was a sunny afternoon, but I forgot that it had rained that morning, only to remember the rain when I saw the seat had water puddled in it. 

I told you that we'd have to go inside and get a towel, and so we proceeded in. You, understandably, were upset. You wanted to swing, and you didn't understand why we had to go inside! But I didn't want you to sit in a puddle of water. I had to tell you to trust me and wait just a little bit. I needed to get the swing in a better condition before you could enjoy it. I was in the hall, opening the laundry room to get a towel, and I realized The Lord has been teaching me this lesson for so, so long now. He wants me to trust him and wait until He gets the situation ready for me...His best for me. For you, too. His ways are not our ways, and His thoughts are not our thoughts. He knows more than I do, just like I knew more than you did about the puddle of water. You didn't understand. Sometimes I don't understand. But we must obey. We must have faith in Him. That is our role. 

So when He tells me to wait, I'll wait. When He tells me to trust, I'll trust. I know I'll never look at a swing with puddled water in it the same way again. 

Love, 
Momma 


5 comments:

  1. This is so beautiful, Whitney. I love that you take the time to write him things like this that he will cherish so much many, many years from now. I lost my Grandmother, Leila, quite suddenly last week, who I was very close to. I was a little lost at first, but was thinking just yesterday that I'm proud of myself for being strong and coping so well, mostly so that I can be there for my own mother during this time. A huge part of that strength came from reading things she had written throughout the years. She had SO many things documented and all handwritten - little notes about each portrait or piece of furniture in her house, handwritten thank you's that she had written me over the years, even the handwritten notes in the columns of her cookbooks which I now have and will cherish so much. Simply taking the time to write things down is such a lost art these days, but I'll never forget what it felt like to find a note in the mail filled with my Grandmother's distinctive handwriting, and I hope to one day be just as good about recording memories as she always was. John Henry is so lucky to have you! You'll both love reading through those memories some day. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your words! I am glad you are sentimental like me, it helps when you're missing your name sake, I'm sure! Praying you find comfort in Him and His blessings.

      Delete
  2. Such a good entry! I think that is often the hardest lesson to learn and its amazing how God can use the simple things in life to teach us how to let go, and let God. JH is so lucky to have this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Captured the moment so well! We're going to really enjoy re-reading these entries one day decades from now... funny to think that far ahead; I'm just glad you're taking account of the here and now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a beautiful post! What a {at the same} wonderful and difficult lesson it is to have to learn to wait on the Lord. The Lord is faithful to teach me this over and over again.

    ReplyDelete