4.04.2011

Blue bloods and red necks

It sure is good to be home.

I was in Montgomery for my jewelry show, and it was a wonderful success! I had Andrew's blessing to go to the mountains afterwards since my show went so well.

I love my time there in those majestic mountains. My friend Dorothy came to visit on Thursday night and left Saturday morning. I showed her the ropes a bit.

We shopped, we played, we drank wine.




When Dorothy left on Saturday morning, I decided to stay an extra day to attend auctions, explore, and spend some good ole time by myself. 

It was so relaxing, I must say. On my 15 mile drive to Highlands, I decided to turn the radio off and spend some time praying. It's hard not to reflect on God and His creation when waterfalls and the mountain landscape surround you. 

After about 3 hours in Highlands, I drove around a bit and landed in the very primitive country side where I found a flea market. I am aware of the irony. I mingled with the Highlanders and caught myself chuckling in my best Thurston Howell, III laugh. Then, I found myself at a flea market discussing the utter discrimination that plagued the Cherokee Indian tribe because of the white man. The matter still aches the heart of rural North Carolina. "We were here first! It's the worst form of discrimination! They stole our land..." 

I guess I shouldn't blame them. In the Lee household, we have said on many occasion, "If we had just won the war..." This, of course, is in reference to the Civil War. 

As the sun was setting, I quickly realized that my mom turned off the cable, and I had no computer. What's a girl to do? Go to a pub by herself, of course! That's not weird at all! I had a "hard cider" drink. That works. 

At least I felt at home drinking out of an Abita cup. 

I talked to a man native to Norway. I was so tempted to ask him if he knew Tiger Woods' ex, Elin, but I restrained myself only because I knew he probably didn't. 


So I think my time {alone} in a bar concludes that it's official: I can really talk to anyone. 

My mom always said she wanted to raise her children to be able to carry conversations with "blue bloods" and "rednecks." I think this weekend proves that I conquered the challenge. 

No comments:

Post a Comment