11.21.2013

Books and Christmas

The best thing that ever happened to us was when we cut off our cable. Truly. 

Don't go on thinking that we are completely TV-less, though. With Apple TV, Netflix, Hulu, and who knows what else, we have plenty to keep us entertained. But it is so nice to have quiet during the day, though I do turn on talk radio some days. 

Radio itself is antiquated, I know. 

Since being a stay at home mom, I try to make my time truly purposeful. So the radio, music, book and TV choices should be worth my time. Except for that one day a month that I can catch up on some Bravo trash via hulu. A girl's gotta have her vices. 

I spend a lot of time at the library lately, and I've come to understand that I have a problem. There are so many books that I want to read that I can't keep up to the due date.

Here are 2 of the 6 or so books I have checked out...



I have a friend that I admire dearly, and several years ago I asked her what's one of the best books she's read regarding being a wife, or Christian, or just a book in general. To my surprise, she said "John Adams" by David McCullough. 

I asked, "Really? Why?"

She told me that she was so inspired by Abigail Adams in a profound way that it made her role as a wife and mother so much more purposeful. Abigail had such an impact on our country because she was able to sacrifice the demands she had for her family and be understanding while her husband traveled extensively through torrential weather conditions for a cause that he fervently believed in: America. I can't imagine if Abigail had demanded that he be home when she told him to. Or if she hadn't been so understanding and supportive. God did an amazing work with the founding of our country in multi-faceted ways. 

I'm not even half way through, but that theme of support, understanding, and submissiveness is interesting to me. The fact that I could be of any help while my husband does something important is just wonderful to me, to be more like Abigail. 

That really isn't the theme of the book, but that's what my friend extracted, and that's what I will look for myself. 

And Ben Carson's book...just getting started and love it. 

I'm also reading "Grain Brain" and books on Canning and Smoothies since I got a Vitamix. 

In addition to being a "radical radio listener" and having an interest in canning, there's one more tidbit to make me just as unusual. I found this quote and I love it. For all those who think I'm a scrooge for not going "all out" for Christmas, take a look at this:

"This quiet yearning for a simplified, sane, sacred Christmas--a Christ-centered Christmas that doesn't scale back Christmas--but scales up WHO Christmas is about." Ann Voskamp

It summed up what I haven't been able to put into eloquent enough words. 

So apart from my Christmas Story leg lamp, a 5 piece out of 6 piece nativity set, John Henry's stocking that my mom made, and a fresh wreath, that might be all I'm going to do as far as decorations are concerned. 

Truth be told, when we have a house of our own, I'm sure I'll go all goo-goo-ga-ga over the tree and all that jazz. But for now, it'll be those said pieces, lots of Kenny G Christmas, cooking, cheer, and joy of Jesus. 

Merry Merry.

And it's not even Thanksgiving...

1 comment:

  1. You know, I thought I'd have a nine feet tall Christmas tree with expensive Victorian inspired ornaments once we bought our house. We're still putting up our rinky dink Christmas tree from Big Lots with Dollar General ornaments that I bought for my rent house in Thibodaux. Less is (usually) more. Plus, our hearts are filled with a different kind of Joy this time of year. I think yours are too! Blessings and Peace!

    ReplyDelete